A Brief Introduction

Endeavoring to define myself outside of a "job title." I'm a nomad of sorts who fell in love with technology, activism, and helping others. I run a web & media consulting firm, have a blog specifically for activists & non-profits, and travel often. I love talking about theology, politics, and social change. I love doing something about it even more. I also like to be a well-rounded and fully present person. That's why I write here. Connect with me on twitter

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

President Carter chimes in on Don't Ask, Don't Tell

President Jimmy Carter has called upon Congress to repeal the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy which bans the open service of gay and lesbian personnel in the US Armed Service. His statement to the Servicemembers Legal Defense Networks is being reported by The Advocate, Yahoo! News, and many other news services.

In his statement to SLDN, Carter said, "'Don't ask, don't tell' is the only law in America today that regulates a group of citizens, then prohibits them from identifying themselves and speaking up on their own behalf. Gay soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines are unable to tell their member of Congress or their commander that the policy is an abject failure, and they are living proof because they will face discharge. Those who defend our liberties and freedoms deserve better...

The estimated 65,000 gay men and women who currently are serving our country honorably deserve respect. America has always been a beacon of hope for those who believe in human rights and individual dignity. The brave and dedicated men and women of our armed forces also must benefit from this fundamental ideal."

To read his entire statement, visit www.sldn.org
Use the following official resources to find and contact your voices in Congress about this important matter: Senate / House

It is encouraging to see the voices for equality growing in number and in esteem. I know I personally have not done enough in appealing to my representatives on this and other issues that are important to me. That's one area I'd like to improve in.

What are some other issues facing Congress that are important?

No comments:

 
/*Google Analytics Tracking Code*/