A Brief Introduction

Endeavoring to define myself outside of a "job title." I'm a nomad of sorts who fell in love with technology, activism, and helping others. I run a web & media consulting firm, have a blog specifically for activists & non-profits, and travel often. I love talking about theology, politics, and social change. I love doing something about it even more. I also like to be a well-rounded and fully present person. That's why I write here. Connect with me on twitter

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Raising up holy hands

Due to car problem and graduation craziness, today was the first time I was able to attend church since I returned to Los Angeles after the Equality Ride. Bel Air Presbyterian is nestled in the mountains of Mullholland Drive and serves the greater LA region. It has been a fixture of my faith experience at USC. This morning marked the first time I attended as a graduate and the first time I'd been in a church after the ride. It was different not having my fellow riders with me in a church, but very familiar to be back in the church I've gone to for the past three years.

I was happy to be home.

Today's sermon was the first in a series on Mark... "The Gospel of Action." Pastor Mark Brewer spoke about how Mark launched right into Jesus's ministry, how Jesus was active, and specifically how Jesus was "in the business of healing." He looked at Mark 1:40-45 where Jesus heals the paralytic. It was a good sermon on what it really means when Christ shows up in your life. He echoed a sentiment that Mr. McKinnon once shared with me: no one encounters Jesus and remains unchanged. I know that is true for me. Mark often talks of the spiriting driving him (rather than a less emphatic "leading"). Boy have I felt that.

He also pointed out something I don't often think about: "You're going to need Jesus more after the healing than before." Finding the healing power of Jesus is amazing, but it does not come without a responsibility. As the Lord continues to heal, shape, and refine my life, I find myself relying on the Spirit even more.

I was also encouraged by this thought:

You might be laying foundations in business, in ministries, in relationships... that you will never see come to fruition. That might not be your role. Your role might be to lay the groundwork for something great. Your role is to listen to the Lord.
I can't wait for next week!

 
/*Google Analytics Tracking Code*/