A Brief Introduction

Endeavoring to define myself outside of a "job title." I'm a nomad of sorts who fell in love with technology, activism, and helping others. I run a web & media consulting firm, have a blog specifically for activists & non-profits, and travel often. I love talking about theology, politics, and social change. I love doing something about it even more. I also like to be a well-rounded and fully present person. That's why I write here. Connect with me on twitter

Thursday, March 15, 2007

MidAmerica Nazarene: Refreshed

Today was just the day I needed. It stood in stark contrast to our time in Milwaukee outside the walls of Wisconsin Lutheran. This morning we traveled to nearby Kansas City, Missouri to take part in the "Tulips on Troost" project which aims to redefine the way people think of color on the infamous Troost Avenue which served as a racially segregating line in Kansas City. The contrast in house sizes, landscape grandeur, and upkeep quality is still very stark. We were able to plant a garden next to the project headquarters, cleanup trash on the street, and help out with the fundraising campaign. A local PFLAG chapter provided lunch for us and talking with the mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters of GLBT individuals was truly amazing. I loved hearing the personal journeys that each of them have taken.

This evening we visited MidAmerica Nazarene for the first time. We met the administrators who greeted us with smiles, handshakes, and fruit punch! Afterwards we met our hosts for the time on campus, were seated in tables with other students and administrators and heard a presentation on "A Christian Thing To Do" which outlined healthy and productive responses to GLBT friends and family. Afterwards we were able to talk amongst our tables. The students had many questions for us. They ranged in everything from how we knew we were gay, what it was like to be Christian and queer, what does transsexual mean, what are our families like, how did our parents respond, how do we know it's not sinful, and everything in between. When we finally had to wrap up we hugged, wished each other well for the evening, and got excited about continuing the conversations the next day.

I think each and every student is genuinely interested in hearing more of what we have to say. It was so refreshing! I know that many, if not most, of these students differ with us in their views on homosexuality but we were able to come together in fellowship. They truly modeled a Christlike response. I know that we will have even more productive conversations tomorrow. And I can't wait!

No comments:

 
/*Google Analytics Tracking Code*/