A Brief Introduction

Endeavoring to define myself outside of a "job title." I'm a nomad of sorts who fell in love with technology, activism, and helping others. I run a web & media consulting firm, have a blog specifically for activists & non-profits, and travel often. I love talking about theology, politics, and social change. I love doing something about it even more. I also like to be a well-rounded and fully present person. That's why I write here. Connect with me on twitter

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Comfort in Community

"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say that I am?"
Sister Carol Perry has prepared a Lenten devotional for the church to journey through each morning. It is a compilation of questions that Jesus asks throughout the Gospels. This morning, I focused on this pivotal question from Matthew: What do I think of Jesus?

Comforter, role model, teacher, leader... sacrifice. Yes, all of these things. But was he a Savior? He transformed the lives of those around him. His message of grace and of justice resonates in believers who in very real ways change the world: Advent Conspiracy, BloodWaterMission, the homeless ministry of the church down the street. Savior, indeed.

But what else? Who do I say that he is?

The church community provides friendship and support. It is a place to go and there are always things to do. A faith in God and in Jesus gives an authority to the work of justice: it is not just because I think the way should be such, but rather because God demands it. It is nice to feel connected, needed, belonging. Am I a Christian because it provides a framework for me to operate within? A structure to live within and a community to be a part of? Those are not bad aspects of the Christian community; in fact, they may be some of its strongest assets, but are they enough? Do I believe in the ideals of community, faith, hope, grace, justice... or do I believe in One who laid them down first?

"Who do you say that I am?" Way to hit the ground running, Sister Perry!

No comments:

 
/*Google Analytics Tracking Code*/