A Brief Introduction

Endeavoring to define myself outside of a "job title." I'm a nomad of sorts who fell in love with technology, activism, and helping others. I run a web & media consulting firm, have a blog specifically for activists & non-profits, and travel often. I love talking about theology, politics, and social change. I love doing something about it even more. I also like to be a well-rounded and fully present person. That's why I write here. Connect with me on twitter

Monday, May 19, 2008

Marking History

When the California Supreme Court decision on marriage equality for gays and lesbians is remembered forty years from now, I hope that we remember the people and not just the policies. I hope that we remember my friend Diane Grey-Reed and her wife, who were married in a religious ceremony only months before and who rushed to the courthouse to legalize their nuptials. I hope we will remember the couples already signing up for ceremonies at my former church, La Verne Church of the Brethren. I hope we remember the brave San Francisco couples who boldly started this journey four years ago.

I am excited about couples we don't even know of yet. I am excited for the conversations between partners sparked on Thursday, "Is it time for us now?" I am encouraged by the young people who will find support and courage to share their stories and raise their voices. The relationships that will from the very first date hold open the option of marriage.

Unlike Massachusetts, California allows all couples to marry in the state which means when that person and that time comes, I have a pastor and a church in Los Angeles already waiting for me to come back. And that feeling is indescribable.

No comments:

 
/*Google Analytics Tracking Code*/