A Brief Introduction

Endeavoring to define myself outside of a "job title." I'm a nomad of sorts who fell in love with technology, activism, and helping others. I run a web & media consulting firm, have a blog specifically for activists & non-profits, and travel often. I love talking about theology, politics, and social change. I love doing something about it even more. I also like to be a well-rounded and fully present person. That's why I write here. Connect with me on twitter

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Palin Pick

In the past few days my Facebook news feed has been swarming with status updates regarding McCain's pick of Palin for his VP. Most of Democratic friends seem to think he's made a giant blunder, dooming any chance McCain had for election and all but sealing Obama as the next president.

I don't have any idea what they're talking about.

There's a lot of talk about hypocrisy but I don't see any.
Pro-life? Palin did not abort her child affected by Down's Syndrome.
Family values? The Palins are standing by and supporting their pregnant teenage daughter.

The only real concern that I can see as these family matters are turned into national news is the efficacy of abstinence-only education as played out in the life of her daughter, but seriously, how much sway will the Vice President have in outlining the health education of schools?

I may be in the minority, but I think politically speaking, Palin is a good decision for McCain

2 comments:

Casey said...

Careful, my friend - talking that way isn't likely to earn you a lot of friends in certain circles, trust me. But I like what I see. Take care.

Brian said...

I stopped just short of saying Palin was an objectively good pick, so I think I'll be OK. But I think in the game of politics, it was a move likely to score him votes. I don't think "liberals" eating her up will help at all. She's a smiling, bubbly, good looking middle-age, mother of five ... she LOOKS nice and in this day, that matters.

Her policy positions may warrant tough criticism (depending on your views), but superficial attacks and name-calling? It's making her all the more likable.

 
/*Google Analytics Tracking Code*/